The Affordability Framework was developed in alignment with recommendations from A Learning Alberta and through extensive stakeholder consultation. It includes a comprehensive set of strategies to enhance student aid and revised Alberta's tuition fees regulation.
The framework includes the following strategies:
- Affordability is key to raising participation and educational attainment levels, particularly among groups that are under-represented in the system.
- Tuition fees should be predictable and affordable and reflect a cost-sharing principle.
- Students should be motivated, inspired and well informed about opportunities, costs, resources and benefits from obtaining post-secondary education.
- Student financial assistance should be simplified, flexible, and responsive to learner diversity.
- Student financial assistance programs should ensure learners have the resources they need while ensuring students graduate with manageable debts.