International Students

In many cases it is possible for internationally-trained individuals to transfer their educational credentials to Alberta for

  • acceptance at an Alberta post-secondary institution
  • getting a job
  • joining a professional licensing association

International Qualifications Assessment

The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) helps newcomers obtain recognition for the education they received in other countries. IQAS provides advisory education assessment services which compare educational qualifications from other countries to Alberta educational standards.

IQAS provides a list of organizations that accept an IQAS assessment certificate, however you should always confirm this with your preferred educational institution, employer or professional association before you apply for an IQAS assessment.

Certification and Registration Requirements for Employment

Professional and industry associations, employers and government departments offer certification and registration programs in many occupations. Some are voluntary; some are required by law.

CERTinfo provides information about occupations governed by law in Alberta. It answers questions about provincial requirements and regulations for specific occupations in Alberta. Some requirements will transfer directly from another province or country; however, others will not.

You may have to take additional training and certification to obtain employment in Alberta.

More Information for International Students

Learn more about studying in Alberta: