Did you leave high school early? Need a few more credits or higher marks in the core subjects? Or, did you attend school in a country with different requirements? Upgrading might be right for you!

For entrance into many post-secondary programs, you need specific high school or high school equivalent courses. And for most jobs in Alberta, you need a minimum of a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma.

High School Equivalent Courses

There are three ways Albertans can pursue academic upgrading courses:

High School Equivalency Diploma

If you are no longer in high school and require a high school equivalency diploma for employment or education, Alberta Education provides two methods for obtaining this:

  1. Accumulated credits through a combination of High School credits, credits for maturity and life experiences, and credits for adult education, or
  2. Successful completion of the General Educational Development (GED) exam.

You do not have to complete high school courses to write the GED exam. However, Alberta colleges, universities and technical institutes might not accept the GED on its own for entrance to post-secondary studies. If you are thinking of completing the GED as a way of entering a post-secondary institution, you should check with your preferred post-secondary institution to determine if the GED is acceptable.