Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required for most post-secondary-related applications including

  • student loans
  • scholarships
  • bursaries and grants
  • program applications (to issue T2202A tax receipts)

A SIN is also required to set up a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), which is a great way to save early for your post-secondary education or training. An RESP also provides you the opportunity to receive government grants such as the Canada Education Savings Grant or the Canada Learning Bond.

If you do not have a SIN, visit Service Canada to have one issued. There is no cost to apply for a SIN; however, other documents such as a birth certificate may be needed to confirm your identity, and there may be costs related to applying for these documents.