Part-time training

The Alberta government offers the Skills Investment Bursary to eligible individuals attending part-time training. The bursary is designed to help with costs associated with training. To be eligible for a Skills Investment Bursary, an individual is assessed based on the eligibility criteria. The maximum training benefit amount issued under the Skills Investment Bursary is $5,000 per year.

Before you apply

If you are considering taking a part-time course, you may be eligible for funding. Before you apply for Part-Time Training benefits, find out about eligibility requirements and benefits available to you.


To make sure funding is in place before your start date, your application should be submitted at least two months before training starts. It takes approximately 4-6 weeks to process an application.

Apply online

If you need financial help to attend part-time training you can complete your application and submit it online. To submit an online application for the Skills Investment Bursary go to my Alberta Supports, and click on Apply Online.

Apply in writing

Applications for financial support to attend part-time training can also be filled out and mailed to the Learner Income Support Office. Use the Completion Instructions to understand how to fill in the Skills Investment Bursary Application. You can print the application, then fill it out and sign it with ink. Or you can save it to your computer and fill it in. Then print it and sign it with ink.

If you require additional help with this form you may review the Completion Instructions.

Once printed, you must sign the Skills Investment Bursary Application and mail with all your application documents to:

Learner Income Support Office
Box 17000, Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 4R4

The Learner Income Support Office will send a letter telling you if you’re eligible and the next steps to take. If you have any questions about the application process, call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre 1 877 644 9992 (toll-free) or 780 644 9992 (Edmonton).

Tax slips

A tax slip to report the financial assistance you received will be mailed to you early in the calendar year for the previous tax year. You may want to discuss the tax slip with a tax professional to find out how it affects your tax return and how it needs to be claimed. It is important to keep your mailing address up to date to make sure you get the tax slips you need to complete your income tax return

Report a change

If you are currently in training and receiving funding from us, you must report any changes that occur during your training by submitting a Change in Circumstances form. These changes include, but are not limited to: change in telephone number or address, change in marital status, change in family composition, change in program/courses, and change in earnings or assets, etc. Make sure to include supporting documentation with your written notification, if applicable.

Save the Change in Circumstances form to your computer. Fill it out, print it and sign it in ink.

Gather other documents that may be needed to show the change has happened. Send your form and documents to:

Learner Income Support Office
Box 17000, Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 4R4


For information on the appeal process, you can download the brochure A Guide to the Appeals Process.